Friday, January 1, 2010

Lovers(2009) - Kim Do-yeon

http://siff.or.kr/eng/program/short_view.html?mov_idx=796&gubun=2

Today's a new years day and I have no idea why this film hit my head. I'm right here in my chill room alone, just surfing the internet without any purpose. I think I happened to consider 'what was the no.1 film for me in 2009?' or sort of things. I took '2009 Seoul Independent Film Festival catalog' away and flipped it, not looking through any of the pages. And this film just came from my brain. Perhaps it's because this film is about desire, so to speak, the fate or the destiny of desire.

This film is about (hopeless) old gay man. But this film expands the subject to 'how much we should be desperate to get what we desire' and 'how uncertain and hostile the object of desire always is'. And it's not just about the homosexual. His boyfriend, Ho Yeong also had a 'girl friend', which the protagonist didn't know(he would have known but ignored it). After Ho Yeong disappeared without a notice, these two, the girl and the protagonist, got confused and happened to share the same feeling.

This film's Korean title has a different meaning from the English translated one. It means 'Love Story'. It's like "Let me tell you my love story." It sounds so 'trivial' that it doesn't suitable to cover this 'shocking'(for some Korean audience) story. But that's the way it is. That's the way every 'Love Story' is supposed to be;Truly sincere for somebody but not for the others, and totally heartbreaking at some time but for nothing afterwards.

The atmosphere of this film is elegant and worth to see. Invited to Clermont-Ferrand Shorts Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment